Training Event for Families: Advocacy for Change
Attend this two-day training and enhance your advocacy skills!
Advocacy for Change: A Family Leadership Institute is a learning and action forum for parents or other family members across Wisconsin to gain new information and skills that will enhance their efforts to improve the lives of children and young adults with disabilities and/or special health care needs. Advocacy for Change is conducted by Family Voices of Wisconsin.
• Nancy Amidei, a nationally recognized expert and teacher on effective advocacy, will lead the training.
• Participants will learn about state budget priorities affecting families and youth including health care, waiting lists, special education, and children’s long-term supports.
• After developing and practicing an advocacy message, each participant will meet with their State Representative and deliver their message.
Please note: Participants of Advocacy for Change will be asked to do one of the following activities after the Institute:
• Write a letter to the editor
• Testify at a public hearing
• Share information about advocacy with a group (parent support group, community group, etc.)
• Invite an elected official (Legislator, School Board Member, County Supervisor, etc) to their home.
The Institute will be held April 3-4, 2013 at the Concourse Hotel in Madison. The deadline to apply is March 11.
The agenda, application to attend, and more information are available on the Family Voices website.